The Patrick Power Library is here to assist instructors and help Saint Mary’s University students develop information literacy skills such as the ability to seek, retrieve, evaluate and use information sources. Library instruction opportunities include Academic Integrity Foundations, ResearchBase, and information literacy classes customized for individual courses and assignments.
Help prevent plagiarism with Academic Integrity Foundations (AIF)
AIF is an assignment in Brightspace that promotes ethical and responsible work habits. As an online, asynchronous course it can be completed at any time and place convenient for students. AIF teaches students about:
- Academic integrity
- Recognizing and avoiding plagiarism
- Incorporating source material in assignments
- Citing source material
- Strategies for avoiding academic mistakes
Learn about essential research skills with ResearchBase
ResearchBase is a second library assignment available in Brightspace. It is self-directed with opportunities for hands-on practice. Students enrolled in Research Base will learn about essential research skills including:
- An introduction to academic library resources and services
- Searching for material in the library catalogue and journal article databases
- Evaluating sources, including differentiating between scholarly and non-scholarly sources
Customized library classes and workshops
Librarians are available throughout the academic year to teach course-specific information literacy instruction. Librarians will work with instructors to design classes and workshops that meet individual course and assignment requirements. Classes in advanced research skills and specialized resources can also be arranged for upper-year classes, graduate classes and TAs. Librarians are available to visit classes online and in-person, and offer flexible hours.
If you think we can help your students, please contact us!
AIF, Research Base and information literacy classes are available to all instructors at Saint Mary’s. For more information about adding library instruction in your courses, please visit the library website, or contact:
- Heather Sanderson: 902-420-5541, email@example.com
- Cindy Harrigan: 902-496-8789, firstname.lastname@example.org